Industry Pulse: A guide through the latest logistics data
Keep track of monthly trends for each mode of transportation through this data hub.
Editor's Note: Check in each Monday for fresh insights on the latest logistics trends. The page will be updated in the following order: Truck, Air,
Each section below includes a graph to visualize changes in demand, supply or rates for the trucking, air freight, maritime shipping and rail industries. Beneath each graph, additional resources can be found in the links.
Sea | Freight Rates vs. Loaded Imports
The Freightos International Freight Index, launched in February, aggregates real-time data on rates for shipments from five ports in China to 10 ports in the U.S., collected through the company's freight rate management platform. The graph below shows rates from China to the U.S. West Coast and East Coast, marked in blue and purple respectively, measured on the left axis. For comparison, the red and orange lines show the amount of loaded containers imported at all of the 10 ports taken into account by Freightos, measured on the right axis.
Last collected: July 24, 2017
Next update: August 21, 2017
- Freightos Freightos International Freight Index
- Supply Chain Dive July could be the start of the shipping cycle's upturn
- Supply Chain Dive Freightos unveils international freight price index, competing with SCFI
- Supply Chain Dive Survey: 40% of shippers now negotiate freight rates monthly
Rail | AAR Monthly Carload and Intermodal Traffic
The Association of American Railroads reports both carload and intermodal traffic on a weekly basis. Various sources compile and use this data, partly to track commodities' performance. Carload traffic is often seen as a better indicator for commodities, like coal, as intermodal containers may contain any of a variety of products.
Last update: July 17, 2017
Next insight: August 14, 2017
- Supply Chain Dive Strong traffic volumes in May solidify rail industry's rebound
- Association of American Railroads Freight Rail Traffic Data
- U.S Department of Transportation Federal Railroad Administration Freight Rail Today
Air | IATA Air Freight Monthly Analysis
The International Air Transport Association (IATA) Air Freight Market Analysis offers a monthly overview of global supply and demand, measured by freight ton kilometers (FTKs) and available freight ton kilometers (AFTKs). The IATA represents 265 airlines comprising 83% of global air traffic.
Last update: July 10, 2017
Next insight: Aug 7, 2017
- Supply Chain Dive Air freight surges in May, but has growth reached its peak?
- IATA Air Freight Market Analysis
- Boeing World Air Cargo Forecast 2016-2017
Truck | Cass Freight Index
The Cass Freight Index measures trucking shipments and expenditures, a proxy for demand and supply, by analyzing $20 billion in annual freight payables from Cass Information Systems' clients. The report is renowned for its insight into industry trends, as well as its sister linehaul and intermodal indices. Click here for a view of trends since 2006.
Last update: July 5, 2017
Next insight: July 31, 2017
- Supply Chain Dive Strong growth set to raise truckload prices in 2017
- Cass Information Systems Cass Freight Index Report
- American Trucking Associations Latest U.S. Freight Transportation Forecast Shows Continued Growth for Trucking
Comments, concerns or feedback? E-mail [email protected]
Follow Edwin Lopez on Twitter